Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe: Slow-Cooker Chicken Tacos

I'm supposed to be working on a stump speech for class, and I'm having serious trouble with it, because I've decided to challenge myself by writing it from a Tea Party perspective (ugh) and I don't know anything about the Tea Party except that I hate them. So, instead, I'm going to post a recipe for Slow-cooker chicken tacos, which are really good and I made on Monday but haven't had enough time to post about until today. (Technically, I still don't have enough time to post about it, but what can you do).

First thing is to gather your ingredients:


  • 3 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 package taco seasoning (in this case, reduced sodium)
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
  • 2 cans dark red kidney beans (optional)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (optional, but good)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup water (if not using kidney beans)
Rice is optional, if you want to add it to the recipe, but I don't think it's necessary. It would probably be pretty good.

First step is to cover the bottom of your crock pot with the taco seasoning packet, and then place the chicken breasts directly onto the taco seasoning. Chicken breasts should be frozen to start, which makes this recipe even easier.





Flavor the chicken breast by sprinkling the cumin over top of them....













....and then dump the can of Rotel on top of the cumin-covered chicken breasts.
The next step is the kidney beans, if you choose to use them. I really like beans in my chili/tacos, so I would definitely use them, but that's entirely up to you. Also, I'm sure that black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, etc., would taste fine. You could also use only one can if you want to go light on the beans. Add one can of kidney beans, with the liquid, to the beans. Drain the other can (reserving the liquid) and add the beans, followed by the olive oil (if using).


Put the lid on the crock pot and set it on low. After 3.5 hours (or more) it will look something like this:


Using a fork, take out the chicken breasts and move them to a cutting board. They should be completely tender and moist. Shred all three breasts with a pair of forks. Add it back into the pot.


Mix the chicken back in and let the flavors come together for another half hour or so (or longer) before eating. If it seems a little dry, go ahead and add the reserved kidney bean liquid (which has more flavor and nutrients than water) or just add water as needed.





When ready to eat, you can eat it plain like a chili, but of course, you can add anything else you might put on a taco: hot sauce, rice, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc.I prefer to pile it on top of a tortilla with cheddar cheese and light sour cream.






Approximate WW PointsPlus value for a 1/2 cup serving of taco filling (with beans, no toppings/tortilla included) = 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment