Thursday, October 6, 2011

China Glaze Zombie Zest

EDIT: For whatever reason, despite knowing the name of this polish and telling it to people all week, when I posted this, I said it was Mummy May I, which is the purple. I've fixed it to say the actual polish name: Zombie Zest.

So, I'm still getting the hang of taking pictures of my nail polish. It's actually a lot harder than you'd think and I'm more in awe of the nail polish blogs that I read than I had previously been.

Last week, I read an article in Health magazine that encouraged me to paint my nails olive green. Despite the fact that only one of the colors listed by Health is actually olive green (Butter London Wallis) I decided it was a pretty good idea. Last year, I bought the China Glaze Awakening set and wore two of the three shades, but didn't wear Zombie Zest, an olive green glitter. Let me tell you -- I missed out.

I don't own Wallis, so I can't do a comparison, but there are several sites out there that put the two polishes up next to each other and they're almost the same (I know for real nail polish aficionados that's blasphemy, but I tend to call things dupes a lot sooner than others might). Interestingly, my pictures make it look very green, whereas others make it look very olive and almost the same as Wallis (pictured below). Yet, I think that my pictures are very color-accurate, so you'll have to decide for yourself how close they really are. Also, this only cost me $8 for the set of four, so I saved myself some money. Totally worth it.

Here's Health's picture:

Photo credit: Grace Huang for Health Magazine.


And here are my pictures of Zombie Zest. There are a lot of them because this color changes dramatically depending on where you are and your lighting conditions. Sometimes it's a green foil, sometimes it's a straight glitter. Sometimes it's a rich almost kelly green and sometimes it's a murky mossy color and sometimes it's straight olive. It's beautiful.

Indoors at night:




Outside with overcast sky:



Outside with sun:



Indoors with low light:



Indoors with bright light:



I don't know why my hands look so pink in those last couple. Maybe I was cold, because the polish certainly doesn't make them look pink.

Anyway, that was a crazy amount of photos. I'll have to get better about picking out the good ones. This is four coats over one coat of Sally Hansen base coat/top coat, with the same polish used for one coat of top coat. There is virtually no discernible difference between how it looks right now, a week later, and how it looked when I put it on. You have to stare at it to even see tip wear. I'm not familiar with enough brands to speak knowledgeably about formula, but I thought it went on very smooth and evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment