Sunday, October 9, 2011

Halloween Preparations!

As I previously mentioned, I have been feeling very autumnal lately because the weather has gotten colder. I've been excited about Halloween and Thanksgiving, Oktoberfest and corn mazes, hot toddies and hot chocolate. But today it was 80 degrees, so I'm feeling less autumnal than I was a couple weeks ago.

That being said, it's beautiful weather outside and it's almost impossible not to enjoy it. Unfortunately, I don't have tomorrow (Columbus Day) off, so I can't laze about outside and soak up some sun, but I did spend time outside yesterday and a little bit today in order to get in some of the late summer-feeling goodness.

Despite the weather, however, I am moving forward with my Halloween preparations. I took in a couple light-up fake jack-o-lanterns to the office, a crystal glowing jack-o-lantern, and a fake orange candle with Halloween silhouettes on it. Today I went to Michael's and went... umm... crazy? Is that too strong a word? No. Sarah gave me a Michael's coupon and so I went to pick up some Halloween decorations/supplies. I ended up getting cupcake liners, garland, a wire cat black cat, a wire witch hat, a hanging ghost with the words "Boo" on it, a foam Halloween house to build, some sparkly foam jack-o-lanterns, skulls and spiderwebs for my office door, some signs that say "Happy Halloween" and "Trick-or-Treat" (made of foam), fake votives, sparkly foam autumn leaves in various colors, sizes, and leaf species, and foam signs that say "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Welcome Fall." All told, it was about $60 word of Halloween supplies. Then I went next door to HomeGoods and bought two adorable jack-o-lanterns made of pipe cleaners (cuter than that sounds) and a gorgeous metal pumpkin in harvest colors almost identical to the one I searched for last year but couldn't find at TJ Maxx (my mom has one like it and that's where she got it).

Successful day for decorating, if I do say so myself. I'm not a crafty person, so I'm not likely to do scrapbooking or make my own crafts, but I am likely to decorate. Most of the stuff I got was $1 or less and is reusable from year-to-year.

I'm going to take the stuff into work tomorrow and start some decorating. I'll try to take some pictures of what the office looks like when I'm done. I have a midterm tomorrow and I have to work on a class project at work (shhhh!) so I'm not sure I'll have the time, but hopefully I'll get some up.

Last week also marked the beginning of my month of Halloween treats going into work. I'll try to put up a post about the pumpkin cupcakes I took in on Friday soon, but for right now, I'm going to work on my project and get to bed early, because I am beat. I may have to work tomorrow, but at least it's a federal holiday so there won't be any traffic, HOV restrictions, or parking enforcement. I can take I-66 in and park at a meter in front of my office for free all day! Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment