Monday, October 10, 2011

Midterms and Decorations

I had a midterm tonight in my speechwriting class. We had to write a crisis speech, so the idea was that we couldn't have much time to prepare. We got a topic at the beginning of class and had the full class time (2.5 hours) to write a speech and submit it. I finished mine in about an hour and a half and was the first one done (OK, so I finished at the exact same time as another guy, but close to first).

I was actually really happy with what I turned in. I'm not the type of person who frets and fidgets during an exam. I walk in and I either know what to do or I don't. If I don't, I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure something out or remember something I never bothered to learn, so I generally finish those exams pretty quickly. If I do know it, I take the exam, review it once, and then submit it. I take tests pretty fast in general, so unless it's a really long test or I know an extensive amount on the topic and am trying to fit it all in, I usually finish pretty early. But I'm rarely so content with the responses I give as I was tonight. Usually I feel good after an exam because it's over (one of the reasons I prefer final exams to final papers: there's a finite amount of time between when you start it and when it has to be done and there's nothing you can do about it). Tonight, I felt good because I felt I had submitted a quality piece of work. Now let's just hope that my grade reflects that.

No one came in to work today except for me, so I didn't get a lot of work done. There are some things about the office environment that are really frustrating me right now, so I'm trying to relax and be more apathetic toward work. This sounds like it would be counter intuitive -- if I want something to improve, I should work to change it -- but really I'm annoyed and frustrated because I care too much about my job. If I care less about it, if I spend less time doing it, if I really work on improving my personal life outside of my job and just not thinking about work, I'll be happier in the long run. I'm debating whether to start a countdown to when I'll stop working there. It looks like it should be a year or less, but I don't want to start counting down until it's a little more clear.

On a note of making work a little bit more enjoyable, I took all my decorations into the office today. I put most of them up, sharing some of them with coworkers who do not have their desks decorated. Jade currently has the garland of jack-o-lanterns up on her desk like bunting, and I might be talked into giving up some of my foam spiderwebs and jack-o-lanterns for the GA's desk on the other side of the office. Then everyone will have some Halloween spirit when people walk in the door (technically, I have an office that is hidden from view, so people have to come find me to know I have Halloween spirit, thus decorating of the suite spreads the good cheer to people who can't see my office). I'll try to take pictures tomorrow, if I can remember to bring my camera.

I also have to weigh in tomorrow, which might be ok and might be ugly. I ate all of my weekly and all of my activity points this week. There are a couple of food items I may have overestimated, but usually we underestimate, so I'm sure that I made up for it somewhere. I've been really active, but I've also been starving this past week, and I'm not sure why. Hopefully I will have lost some weight, even if it's only a fraction of a pound. Three people at work have commented about my weight loss, plus my personal trainer, which is very satisfying. This is my last week of personal training, so hopefully I can take a lot of what I've learned and keep using it at the gym and keep losing weight. Most of what we've done is pretty easy to remember (not easy to do) and I can translate it at the gym or even at home. We'll see how it works.

I'm currently wearing China Glaze Mummy May I (actually MMI, this time, and not Zombie Zest, which I kept calling MMI in my post last week). It dried really matte last night even with topcoat, but I put another layer on tonight and I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment